On Thu, Dec 16, 2021 at 9:10 AM Mick Semb Wever <m...@apache.org> wrote:

> A negative reaction of this approach is that our released versions
> will jump minor versions. For example, next year's release could be
> 4.3.0 and users might ask what happened to 4.1 and 4.2. This should
> only be a cosmetic concern, and general feedback seems to be that
> users don't care so long as version numbers are going up, and that we
> use semantic versioning so that major version increments mean
> something (we would never jump a major version).

I don't think this is a major concern (today we go from 3.0 to 3.11
from ticktock, after all) since the important thing is that the
version is larger and lexicographically sorts after the earlier one.
If I'm updating a machine via apt/rpm/whatever I may note which
packages are upgrading, but as long as the versions are greater there
isn't much reason to dig further.  Generally when I do that, versions
are being skipped already.