> Nevertheless, it requires fixes

I have run all tests successfully against 4.1.0-PRE1, without modification[1].

> more importantly requires others in the ecosystem to adapt

There is no such requirement for publishing these as alphas, but without
evidence to the contrary I doubt the downstream impact of this change will
greatly exceed the time we are spending discussing this.

> I am not comfortable relying upon the pre-release tag being case-sensitive
> alphanumerically ordered.

Whereas I am very uncomfortable publishing pre-release snapshots that are not
marked as such.

I think we’ve hashed this out more than enough, so let’s get some indicative
votes to determine which one the community endorses. I will send a separate
email for that purpose.

[1]
https://app.circleci.com/pipelines/github/belliottsmith/cassandra?branch=pre1&filter=all