I don't think logging which policy violation was triggered is that big of
an ask?

"Password changed for user X, complying with policies (reuse, complexity,
entropy)"
"ERROR: Password rejected due to policy violation (reuse)"
"ERROR: Password rejected due to policy violation (complexity)"
"ERROR: Password rejected due to policy violation (entropy)"

The success log makes it much easier for users subject to audit controls,
and the failures make it much easier to tell users what's going on for
those users who operate the database for other people.