-1 on providing a bunch of choices and forcing users to pick one. We should
have a default and it should be “good enough” for most people. The people who
want to dig in and try other gc settings can still do it, and we could provide
them some profiles to start from, but there needs to be a default.  We need to
be asking new operators less questions on install, not more.

Re:experience with Shenandoah under high load, I have in the past seen the
exact same thing for both Shenandoah and ZGC. Both of them have issues at high
loads while performing great at moderate loads. I have not seen G1 ever have
such issues. So I would not be fine with a switch to Shenandoah or ZGC as the
default without extensive testing on current JVM versions that have hopefully
improved the behavior under load.