I have concerns with the majority of this being in the sidecar and not in the
database itself.  I think it would make sense for the server side of this to be
a new service exposed by the database, not in the sidecar.  That way it can be
able to properly integrate with the authentication and authorization apis, and
to make it a first class citizen in terms of having unit/integration tests in
the main DB ensuring no one breaks it.

-Jeremiah