As Eric said, a major release is not a license to make externally visible
breaking changes. We are too mature a project now.

I have OCD tendencies like many people here, but one must learn to live with
aesthetically imperfect tool output. Internal changes are fine, external
changes that are actual bug fixes are fine (but need to be undertaken with good
care still).