To clarify the repair solution timing, the one we have listed in the
article is not the recently developed one. We were hitting some
high-priority production challenges back in early 2018, and to address
that, we developed and rolled out the solution in production in just a few
months. The timing-wise, the solution was developed and productized by Q3
2018, of course, continued to evolve thereafter. Usually, we explore the
existing solutions we can leverage, but when we started our journey in
early 2018, most of the solutions were based on sidecar solutions. There is
nothing against the sidecar solution; it was just a pure business decision,
and in that, we wanted to avoid the sidecar to avoid a dependency on the
control plane. Every solution developed has its deep context, merits, and
pros and cons; they are all great solutions!

An appeal to the community members is to think one more time about having
repairs in the Open Source Cassandra itself. As mentioned in my previous
email, any solution getting adopted is fine; the important aspect is to
have a repair solution in the OSS Cassandra itself!

Yours Faithfully,
Jaydeep