In order for the project to advertise the release outside the dev@ list it
needs to be a formal release.  That just means that there was a release
vote and at least 3 PMC members +1’ed it, and there are more +1 than there
are -1, and we follow all the normal release rules.  The ASF release
process doesn’t care what branch you cut the artifacts from or what version
you call it.

So the project can cut artifacts for and release a 5.1-alpha1,
5.1-dev-preview1, what ever we want to version this thing, from trunk or
any other branch name we want.

-Jeremiah