On Tue, Oct 24, 2023 at 9:23 AM Josh McKenzie <jmcken...@apache.org> wrote:

> Maybe it won't be a glamorous release but shipping
> 5.0 mitigates our worst case scenario.
>
> I disagree with this characterization of 5.0 personally. UCS, SAI, Trie
> memtables and sstables, maybe vector ANN if the sub-tasks on C-18715 are
> accurate, all combine to make 5.0 a pretty glamorous release IMO
> independent of TCM and Accord. Accord is a true paradigm-shift game-changer
> so it's easy to think of 5.0 as uneventful in comparison, and TCM helps
> resolve one of the biggest pain-points in our system for over a decade, but
> I think 5.0 is a very meaty release in its own right today.

Yes.  SAI will make a huge difference for almost everyone, and ANN will be
even more relevant to a smaller subset.

Let's not get sucked back into "we can't do fast releases because we need
to wait for major features, and we have to wait for major features because
it will be a long time before the next release."

--
Jonathan Ellis
co-founder, http://www.datastax.com