Hi,

To add some additional context.

The row cache is disabled by default and it is already pluggable, but there
isn’t a Caffeine implementation present. I think one used to exist and could be
resurrected.

I personally also think that people should be able to scratch their own itch
row cache wise so removing it entirely just because it isn’t commonly used
isn’t the right move unless the feature is very far out of scope for Cassandra.

Auto enabling/disabling the cache is a can of worms that could result in
performance and reliability inconsistency as the DB enables/disables the cache
based on heuristics when you don’t want it to. It being off by default seems
good enough to me.

RE forking, we could create a GitHub org for OHC and then add people to it.
There are some examples of dependencies that haven’t been contributed to the
project that live outside like CCM and JAMM.

Ariel