> Correcting typos, docs, website, and comments etc operate a “Commit Then 
> Review” policy

I think these are already covered by the current policy

I would even be fine with including minor test-only fixes under this more 
permissive policy



On 2026/09/25 14:15:18 Josh McKenzie wrote:
> > 4. Code modifications made solely to existing tests, documentation, or 
> > comments only require one non-author +1 committer vote.
> wdyt about the revision including Shailaja's feedback?
> 
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2026, at 5:32 AM, Shailaja Koppu via dev wrote:
> > +1 for tests and any non-code PRs like docs/readme/comments etc. This will 
> > help unemployed engineers trying to show OSS experience in their resume or 
> > employed engineers trying to increase their breadth etc during onboarding 
> > to C*.
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > > On Sep 25, 2026, at 8:12 AM, Maxim Muzafarov <[email protected]> wrote:
> > > 
> > > +1
> > > 
> > > On Fri, 25 Sept 2026 at 08:14, Bernardo Botella
> > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >> 
> > >> +1
> > >> 
> > >> El vie, 25 sept 2026 a las 3:57, Caleb Rackliffe 
> > >> (<[email protected]>) escribió:
> > >>> 
> > >>> Alright, so I guess it's 
> > >>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/spaces/CASSANDRA/pages/158863606/Cassandra+Project+Governance
> > >>> 
> > >>> What I would add is a new entry:
> > >>> 
> > >>> 4. Code modifications made solely to existing tests require one 
> > >>> non-author +1 committer vote.
> > >>> 
> > >>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026 at 7:29 PM Caleb Rackliffe 
> > >>> <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >>>> 
> > >>>> It seems like everyone agrees with the basic idea here. The question 
> > >>>> is whether we actually need to codify anything/change wikis, etc. If 
> > >>>> we did, what would be the best place to do that?
> > >>>> 
> > >>>> I have never +1’d a patch without reviewing it, and I guess I’m 
> > >>>> curious about whether I’m alone here 😅
> > >>>> 
> > >>>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 6:33 PM, Francisco Guerrero <[email protected]> 
> > >>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>> 
> > >>>>> Sounds reasonable to me. +1
> > >>>>> 
> > >>>>>> On 2026/09/24 23:02:03 Patrick McFadin wrote:
> > >>>>>> +1
> > >>>>>> 
> > >>>>>> Patrick
> > >>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> On Sep 24, 2026, at 3:29 PM, Josh McKenzie <[email protected]> 
> > >>>>>>>> wrote:
> > >>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> but it would be confusing if we introduce requirements that are 
> > >>>>>>>> inconsistent with those we already have.
> > >>>>>>> Seems like the requirements we already have are confusing to many 
> > >>>>>>> now, given some of the chatter on the other thread.
> > >>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>> I’m +1 to the above relaxations.
> > >>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> On Thu, Sep 24, 2026, at 5:40 PM, Benedict Elliott Smith wrote:
> > >>>>>>>> To reiterate, currently there is no requirement for committers to 
> > >>>>>>>> review a contribution. The policy is worded quite precisely: at 
> > >>>>>>>> least one *contributor* must review a change, and at least two 
> > >>>>>>>> committers must approve the change (one of whom may be the author).
> > >>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> The approval may consist of trust that the contributor's 
> > >>>>>>>> experience is appropriate for the patch in question.
> > >>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> I am open to the thrust of the refinement, but it would be 
> > >>>>>>>> confusing if we introduce requirements that are inconsistent with 
> > >>>>>>>> those we already have.
> > >>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> On 2026/09/24 19:44:34 Caleb Rackliffe wrote:
> > >>>>>>>>> I'm spinning this out of the other thread we have going right now 
> > >>>>>>>>> on LLM
> > >>>>>>>>> usage...
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> I'd like to propose that we slightly change the way we deal with 
> > >>>>>>>>> incoming
> > >>>>>>>>> patches that only touch existing tests.
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> *Current Policy (and please correct me if I've misinterpreted our 
> > >>>>>>>>> current
> > >>>>>>>>> rules)*
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> Fixes from non-committer contributors that only touch existing 
> > >>>>>>>>> tests in an
> > >>>>>>>>> effort to stabilize them still require 2 committer reviewers 
> > >>>>>>>>> before commit.
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> *Proposed Policy*
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> Fixes of this type from non-committer contributors only require 
> > >>>>>>>>> one
> > >>>>>>>>> committer review. CI verification of the effectiveness of the fix 
> > >>>>>>>>> is still
> > >>>>>>>>> required, etc.
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> ...
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>>> That's it. I'm just looking for ways to make small, reasonable 
> > >>>>>>>>> changes that
> > >>>>>>>>> might free up committer bandwidth for some of the larger, more
> > >>>>>>>>> earth-shaking things happening right now.
> > >>>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>>>> 
> > >>>>>> 
> > 
> > 

Reply via email to