I'd support detailed and explicit policies, like Benedict's, Rust's, or
Caleb's, at least they can actually help the problem of AI assisted code
increasing reviewers' burden, though they might introduce other problems.

Blake, why I think your 3 point simple rules won't work as you wish: people
have very different understandings in what's considered responsible enough
or comprehensive enough understanding.

Everyone who has brought AI-coded PRs for me to review, new contributors or
committers, who costs around 4x time from me to review their PRs compared
to human-written ones (already more time than implementing on my own),
believes that they are fully responsible for their code and fully
understand their code. Every one of them believes so.

I tried reminding them that they have to be fully responsible for the
verification of their code. Didn't help in my own experience. (I don't
blame them. We are all figuring out how to use this new tool. And I
voluntarily pick up the tasks of reviewing those PRs. Not their fault. But
that's why we need explicit guidance/policies.)

I've already met people who believe one of the following is considered
responsible enough:
- Read every line of code and think it makes sense.
- Pass other AI's code reviews
- Pass all existing tests and AI-coded new unit tests and integration tests

But I think none of them is enough. Therefore, when someone says they are
fully responsible for/fully understanding their code, it doesn't really
reduce my reviewer's load. Those detailed and explicit policies like
Benedict's or Rust's, are largely just defining what's considered
responsible enough. So they will help.

Reply via email to