Jordan, I also agree with everything you said here. Nice email. I’d support 
that proposal

On Tue, Sep 29, 2026, at 4:57 PM, Jane H wrote:
> I'd support detailed and explicit policies, like Benedict's, Rust's, or 
> Caleb's, at least they can actually help the problem of AI assisted code 
> increasing reviewers' burden, though they might introduce other problems.
> 
> Blake, why I think your 3 point simple rules won't work as you wish: people 
> have very different understandings in what's considered responsible enough or 
> comprehensive enough understanding. 
> 
> Everyone who has brought AI-coded PRs for me to review, new contributors or 
> committers, who costs around 4x time from me to review their PRs compared to 
> human-written ones (already more time than implementing on my own), believes 
> that they are fully responsible for their code and fully understand their 
> code. Every one of them believes so.
> 
> I tried reminding them that they have to be fully responsible for the 
> verification of their code. Didn't help in my own experience. (I don't blame 
> them. We are all figuring out how to use this new tool. And I voluntarily 
> pick up the tasks of reviewing those PRs. Not their fault. But that's why we 
> need explicit guidance/policies.)
> 
> I've already met people who believe one of the following is considered 
> responsible enough:
> - Read every line of code and think it makes sense.
> - Pass other AI's code reviews
> - Pass all existing tests and AI-coded new unit tests and integration tests
> 
> But I think none of them is enough. Therefore, when someone says they are 
> fully responsible for/fully understanding their code, it doesn't really 
> reduce my reviewer's load. Those detailed and explicit policies like 
> Benedict's or Rust's, are largely just defining what's considered responsible 
> enough. So they will help.

Reply via email to