If you remove it, it will break the following APIs:

createPool
createVolumeOnFiler
createLunOnFiler
AssociateLun

Here's how it is used:
The steps are

1. create a volume pool using the createPool
<http://download.cloud.com/releases/3.0.6/api_3.0.6/user/createPool.html>
API (algorithm can be "leastfull" or "roundrobin")
2. add volumes to the pool using the createVolumeOnFiler
<http://download.cloud.com/releases/3.0.6/api_3.0.6/user/createVolumeOnFile
r.html> API. This requires the IP address of the NetApp filer and its
credentials
3. create LUNs in the volume pool using createLunOnFiler
<http://download.cloud.com/releases/3.0.6/api_3.0.6/user/createLunOnFiler.h
tm>  API. Depending on the algorithm for the pool, CloudStack will choose
the NetApp Volume to create the LUN.

Once a bare metal host / vm has booted up, you need to determine its ISCSI
initiator iqn and then use the
AssociateLUN
<http://download.cloud.com/releases/3.0.6/api_3.0.6/user/associateLun.html>
 API set the LUN mask on the filer for that LUN. Then the ISCSI initiator
on the bare metal host / vm can login to the LUN.