On 12/14/2013 09:05 AM, Marcus Sorensen wrote:
I suppose it would be best, and probably easiest, to accept templates in
vmdk, vdi, etc, but qemu-img convert to qcow2 during the copy to primary
storage, to keep the agent code from dealing with many formats. There's a
lot of code that would need rework to deal with non-qcow2 file based disks.

I ran into this when implementing RBD. Since the code made all kinds of assumptions when it came to the format. RBD uses RAW (how KVM sees it).

That's why I wrote QemuImg.java to abstract most of that work.

But I agree with you, we shouldn't force ourselfs into QCOW2, but we should be aware that the hypervisors could be doing a lot of converting work.

Wido