I just tried on my desktop and it works.  LogUtils from ACS just calls
DOMConfigurator.configureAndWatch() which spawns a thread called
Filewatchdog.  It just sleep for 60 seconds and then checks the
modified time on the log4j-cloud.xml.  I haven't tested on a really
production setup though.  Can you tell me if you see the line with
"log4j configuration found at ...."

Darren