Min and myself would like to propose an identity and access management plugin
for CloudStack for the ACS 4.4 release.

Here is the functional spec we have drafted for the first phase:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+Identity+and+Access+Management+%28IAM%29+Plugin

Currently CloudStack provides very limited IAM services and there are several
drawbacks:

- Offers few roles out of the box (user and admin) with prebaked access
control. There is no way to create customized policies and permissions.
- Some resources have access control baked into them. E.g., shared networks,
projects etc.
- We have to create special dedicateXXX APIs to grant permissions to resources.
- Also it does not provide the flexibility to integrate with other RBAC
implementations say using AD/LDAP

Goal for this feature would be to address these limitations and offer true IAM
services in a phased manner.
As a first phase, we need to separate out the current access control into a
separate component based on the standard IAM terminologies. Also we need to
create an access check mechanism to be used by the API layer to avoid the
checks scattered over the api/service layer. The read/listing APIs need to be
refactored accordingly to consider the policy based access granting.

Please provide feedback/suggestions anyone has.

Thanks,
Prachi & Min