Some answers inline.

Prachi

-----Original Message-----
From: Chiradeep Vittal [mailto:chiradeep.vit...@citrix.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 4:20 PM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: [Proposal]CloudStack IAM plugin feature (CLOUDSTACK-5920)

SAML 2.0 is not precluded with this design, it seems.
>>[Prachi] Yes this design does not include the SAML 2.0 support
I found the FS both confusing and illuminating. I think what confuses me is the
interchange of 'acl', 'iam' and 'policy'.
Especially since ACL is used in the networking context.

IMO, renaming the tables and APIs to not use ACL but IAM would clarify matters.
For example:
Tables: iam_policy, iam_policy_permission, iam_group
API: createIAMGroup createIAMPolicy createIAMPermission
addIAMPermissionToAclPolicy attachPolicyToIAMGroup addAccountToIAMGroup (or
better, house the api under the client/iam/?command= sub-url)
Annotation: @IamPolicyCheck

>>[Prachi] I guess yes to avoid confusion, given that the term ACL is already
>>used in networking context, we can stick to using 'iam' and rename our
>>APIs/annotations

Also, there is no reference to what one would normally find in an IAM user
guide: Principal, Role, etc.
Am I right in assuming that Account is the Principal here?
>>[Prachi] yes, CloudStack Account is analogous the IAM term Principal . As
>>mentioned all the permission controls are done at the CS Account level.

Are there roles, or even a default role?
>>[Prachi] There is no 'role' entity. We are using the IAM
>>Group-Policy-Permission model.
The current default roles of CloudStack (user,admin,domainAdmin) will be
translated into default policies as mentioned in the FS 'Default Policy'
section.  These will be loaded as metadata.

What is envisioned for Phase 2, 3Š
>>[Prachi]
- Firstly some easier way of creating custome policies and permissions. The
current FS does not include any UI/tool to create custom policies - all is API
based for first phase.
- Also, based on earlier suggestion from the community, a JSON based policy
structure will bring in more flexibility.
- SAML 2.0,identity federation to be considered

Ideally, this is a separate service that can be enhanced by 3rd parties.
As an example, I want to provide my DBaaS service on an ACS-powered cloud.
I want to utilize the same Principals (and IAM infrastructure) rather than
provide my own.

--
Chiradeep