Hi Andrija,

Daan asked me to have a look at this as well. Looking at you issue I
recall having seen something similar. Back then when upgrading 4.2.1 to
4.3 I though it had to do with out own custom build svm template.
Let me fire off some questions before explaining what the cause was in our
case. :)

- what hypervisor (and version) are you using?
- if XS, is the new VR a para-virtualised instance (PV) or hardware
assisted (HVM)? Do a "xe vm-param-list" on the VR uuid and check that
param PV-args is set and HVM-boot-policy is unset.
- what is the OS type of the VR in ACS (guest_os_id in vm_instance table
and match with table guest_os)
- what is the OS type of the SVM template?

Now for the explaining. :)
In our case the OS type of the new template was not supported on the
XenServer version we are running. Therefore the VR was started by XS as a
HVM guest. System vms on XS rely on the arguments passed to them in the
PV-args param (ends up on the guest in /var/cache/cloud/cmdline which in
turn is used by cloud-early-config) in order to work. cmdline contains the
NIC configuration information.
So, long story short, if a VR gets started as a HVM it will not get the
information needed to configure it's NICs.

Workaround
We corrected the os_type_id in the DB (yes I know editing the DB is
something you usually don't want but there is no other way in this case)
of the existing VR's and of the systemvmtemplate to something supported by
XenServer.

Kind regards,
Joris van Lieshout

Schuberg Philis