However, from a design standpoint, I prefer the instance method here as it
would be nice to ask the object itself to place itself in maintenance mode.

So, it's really a question of just staying backward compatible (the class
method) or a possibly better design (the instance method).
From: Tutkowski, Mike <mike.tutkow...@netapp.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 1, 2016 10:18 AM
To: dev@cloudstack.apache.org
Subject: Re: Python Question (with regards to Marvin)

The question then becomes, do we want to keep the instance or the class method?

There exists the same problem for at least one other pair of methods.

Since the class method is listed second in the file currently, it is the only
one of the two that can be utilized. That being the case, we might just want to
keep the class method and remove the instance method.