Rajani and Will,

It is actually not up to the release managers to make such a determination.
Our bylaws state that anyone with a commit bit can commit (or, if necessary,
rollback a commit).  By granting someone a commit bit, we have imparted a trust
that an individual will protect the integrity of the codebase and work in the
best interest of the community.  If someone makes a mistake (which has
happened), we can easily rollback a commit.  We have even decided to rollback
commits after getting 2 LGTMs on a PR.  Under the Apache Way, committers are
encouraged to propel a project forward.  Restricting merges to RMs not only
restricts velocity and it also limits the energy/contributions of our large
committer base.

In terms of the rules below, we have, by consensus, accepted a set of release
principles [1] that specify how PRs should be reviewed and accepted for merge
to master.   If the guidelines outlined in that document are not followed, we
have accepted that another committer may rollback a commit.  Rajani and I will
be watching the release branches.  If we find commits that do not conform to
our accepted merge rules, we will roll them back and work with the committer to
fix the issues.

Thanks,
-John

[1]:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Release+principles+for+Apache+CloudStack+4.6+and+up

john.burw...@shapeblue.comĀ
www.shapeblue.com
53 Chandos Place, Covent Garden, London VA WC2N 4HSUK
@shapeblue