Github user jburwell commented on the issue:

    @karuturi the point is that there is no discussion about who can commit.
It is in black and white in Section 2.3 of our bylaws and the Apache Way.  As I
said in my previous comment, no one ever agreed that only RMs could commit to
release branches.  We agreed to the criteria for a PR to be merged.  By nature
of his deep involvement, Remi ended up merging all PRs because he was so
active.  However, that activity did not imply that committers had relinquished
their rights under our bylaws.

    blueorganatan was under development until we had a hardware failure in the
lab.  Before development was interrupted, blueorganatan was posted detailed
results to PRs with public exposure of the logs/results from the environment as
the next item to address.  When we resume development in the next week or so,
exposing logs/results will be first item implemented.

---
with INFRA.
---