> Op 10 augustus 2017 om 14:09 schreef Rohit Yadav <rohit.ya...@shapeblue.com>:
>

> All,
>

> Distro provided tomcat6/7/* has caused production issues for few users in the
> past. Due to this, the ACS deployments are inconsistent with the version/jars
> of tomcat in use. By allowing exploded war to be shipped, can allow admins to
> sometimes overwrite cloudstack jars causing production issues. I think moving
> to a CloudStack uber/fat jar will make it easier to deploy CloudStack in
> environments and write custom init/systemd scripts and fix cloudstack setup
> databases/management scripts without assuming the distro we're on.

Yes, I agree. A flat jar makes things a lot easier.

> With this discussion thread, I would like to engage with the community if
> they've any reservations from moving away from tomcat to embedded jetty +
> fat/uber jar based packaging. Please share your thoughts and comments.
>

> On very high level the packaging will provide the following:
>
> - A ServerDaemon class that can accept custom location of UI (webapp
> directory), logging, and other environment options, part of the fatjar.
>
> - A config file (xml/yml or otherwise) where you can configure
> keystore/SSL-certificates, paths (/client), ports, logging etc.
>
> - Default libraries/plugin path at /usr/share/cloudstack-management/lib, UI
> path at /usr/share/cloudstack-management/webapp
>
> - A default file (available at /etc/default/cloudstack-management or symlink
> at /etc/sysconfig etc) where you can specific custom variables, java options,
> classpath etc.
>
> - Refactored init.d/systemd scripts to be commonly used b/w rpm/deb build
> scripts
>
> - A new/improve logrotate file
>
> - Logging will be handled by log4j (the same xml/config file you normally use)
>
> - Currently we're using jsvc to handle mgmt server process, however we may
> move to java+systemd completely

I suggest that we only use init.d on RHEL 6 and Ubuntu 14.04, but on RHEL 7 and
Ubuntu 16.04 (any distro that runs with systemd) we should try to avoid using
jsvc.

That way we don't have to daemonize the MGMT server and keep it attached to
systemd. Also makes it easy to just print logs to stdout and have journalctl
take care of them.

> Marc-Aurèle (ExoScale) and I have collaborated on this problem and we finally
> have a PR (not complete) where we can show this actually works, please have a
> look:

Awesome work!