Hi everyone,

Would you think it's worth tightening the checkstyle rules and run a
reformatting pass on the code base to align everything slowly? I know it
will hide changes using the blame functionality, and would force people to
edit some PR. Is the trade-off worth it for you?

The idea would be to add one by one those extra checkstyle rules, and do
the code change/reformat accordingly each time with one rule in one PR. A
new rule should first be accepted by the community before starting on the
PR to do the changes (otherwise it might be a lot of wasted time). When
merged, a new rule can be added.

The code style that bothers me most right now for example is blocks without
braces, so my first proposal would be:

        <module name="NeedBraces">
            <property name="allowSingleLineStatement" value="true"/>
        </module>

I have a lot more to add, but as said, one at a time ;-)

The list of rules: http://checkstyle.sourceforge.net/checks.html
The current rules:
https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/master/tools/checkstyle/src/main/resources/cloud-style.xml

What do you think?