From: Andrija Panic <andrija.pa...@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:22 AM
To: dev
Subject: Re: System VMs not migrating when host down

Humble opinion (until HOST HA is ready in 4.11 if not mistaken?), avoid
using HA option for VMs  - avoid setting the  "Offer HA" option on any
compute/service offerings, since we did end  up (was it ACS 4.5 or 4.8,
can't remember now) having 2 copies of SAME VM running on 2 different
hosts...imagine storage/volume corruption...this happened a few times for
us.

HOST HA looks like really a nice thing, I have not tested that yet...but
sould completely solve the problem.

On 14 February 2018 at 10:14, Paul Angus <paul.an...@shapeblue.com> wrote:

> Hi Sean,
>
> The 'problem' with VM HA in KVM is that it relies on the parent host agent
> to be connected to report that the VM is down.  We cannot assume that just
> because a host agent is disconnected, that the VMs on that host are not
> running.
>
> This is where HOST HA comes in, this feature detects loss of connection to
> the agent and then tries to determine if the VMs on that host are active
> and then attempts some corrective action.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul Angus
>
> paul.an...@shapeblue.com
[http://www.shapeblue.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/logo.png]<http://www.shapeblue.com/>

Shapeblue - The CloudStack Company<http://www.shapeblue.com/>
www.shapeblue.com
Rapid deployment framework for Apache CloudStack IaaS Clouds. CSForge is a
framework developed by ShapeBlue to deliver the rapid deployment of a
standardised ...

--

Andrija Panić