Hi Rene,

Thanks for sharing - I've not seen this in test/production environment yet.
Does it help to destroy the VR and check if the issue persists? Also, is this
behaviour system-wide for every VR, or VRs of specific networks or topologies
such as VPCs? Are these VRs redundant in nature?

4.11+ VRs are systemd enabled and don't reboot after patching which is a major
difference between 4.9 and 4.11 systemvms/VRs; to make this work for VMware
when the nics come up we use a hack (that has been followed since at least
4.6+) to ping the interfaces/gateways:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/4.11/systemvm/debian/opt/cloud/bin/setup/common.sh#L335

After nic/mac-addresses change/configure, 4.9 and previous VRs used to reboot
(i.e. 4.9 and previous VRs on vmware used to reboot twice, once after patching
and once more to reconfigure nic-mac assignments). 4.11+ VRs don't do reboots
at all but uses udevadm for nic/mac/interface configurations:

https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/blob/4.11/systemvm/debian/opt/cloud/bin/setup/router.sh#L62

So you may try two tests and see if it makes any difference wrt above mentioned
code -- (a) one to increase timeout/ping retries and (b) another to reboot
after udev/mac-address configurations (which would only require re-building the
systemvm.iso file and scp-ing on the secondary storage in your test
environment).

Finally, if you can share logs or other details about the test setup and
environment, I can help you with some investigations.

- Rohit

<https://cloudstack.apache.org>