Marc, yes Jira tickets are used to register changes. However, what Rohit
and others (including me) are noticing is that there are certain types of
changes (minor/bureaucracy) that do not require Jira tickets. The issue is
the wording “change”. What consist of a change that is worth mentioning in
the release notes? Everything we do in a branch is a change towards a
release, but not everything is useful for operators/administrators to see.

I would say that to fix bugs, introduce new features, extend existing
features, introduce a major change in the code such as that standard maven
thing that you did, they all required Jira tickets to track the discussion
and facilitate the management. On the other side of the spectrum, we have
things such as removing dead/unused code, opening a new version (creating
the upgrade path that we still use for the DB), fix a description in an API
method, and so on. Moreover, the excessive use of Jira tickets leads to
hundreds of Jira tickets that we do not know that status of. We have quite
a big number of tickets opened that could be closed. This has been worse;
we are improving as time goes by.

I would say that to make this more transparent to others (especially
newcomers), we need to discuss it, then write it down to make it
transparent the way we are working.

--
Rafael Weingärtner