Reinhard Poetz wrote:

> I agree with Daniel.

I figured you would ;-)

> I want to add some thoughts to Daniel's idea of writing some Ant script
> for the build: trunk has been mavenized and split up into many modules.
> The missing thing is some tool that will create a web application out of
> a number of blocks. In a "world of real blocks" that's the job of the
> deployer that I wrote.
>
> If somebody has the need of writing some deployment tool without having
> to understand blocks-fw, he could write an Ant script or an M2 Mojo that
> get some kind of configuration which blocks should be installed:
>
> <configuration>
>   <blocks>
>     <block>org.apache.cocoon:forms-impl:1.0-SNAPSHOT</block>
>     <block>org.apache.cocoon:template-impl:1.0-SNAPSHOT</block>
>   </blocks>
> </configuration>
>
> Then the mojo deploys them to the right place and takes the component
> configuration out of it and puts it into /WEB-INF/xconf.
>
> As M2 offers some Ant tasks to get access to M2 repos, this could be
> done with Ant too.
>
> I don't have the time right now and also don't have the urgent need for
> it - I will concentrate on learning more about the configuration
> service, implementing the OSGi contracts within the deployer and write a
> Daisy M2 plugin.
> But of course I will help with my experiences with M2 mojo development.
> Also checkout the cocoon-deployer-plugin module, which should give some
> implementation hints.

The thing is, we are an open source community. We move forwards based
upon people's itches. What has been happening (and what I see likely
described above) is an ideal way of doing something that it seems no-one
is interested in investing the learning time to be able to follow.

Thus, we have 'one way' of doing it, that people don't want to follow,
for their own reasons, and because of this, nothing at all happens, and
our community gets weaker by the day.

We need to have the scope for differences, alternative approaches,
conflicts, etc, and then switch to the best when a best clearly shows
itself. What we have now is one unimplemented ideal that we are
supposedly working towards (I'm talking of the community here, not you
yourself). And that ideal is for some psychological reason preventing
others from engaging with their own ideas. It is that psychological
block that I want to find ways to remove. Really, what the technology is
that helps to remove that block, I do not care. I just want to see that
block removed so that the creativity of the many can flow again.

Carsten has offered a suggestion that _he_ is prepared to implement. I
would like to hear other proposals from people of things that _they_ are
prepared to implement. Only that way will we move beyond this impass.

Regards, Upayavira