On 28 Dec 2006, at 16:12, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

Jeremy Quinn wrote:
If I understand you correctly, I think I would prefer all pre-
validation to occur even if there are validation errors found,
otherwise user needs to fix-submit, fix-submit etc. to 'discover' the
errors one by one. I would rather see all validation errors in one go.

Ok, this depends on what you do in the handlers :) Now, we have the use case where we display a popup telling the user what to fix...now if two
handlers open up a popup one after the other that's not that user
friendly I guess...but we could just use one single handler for this and
are done. No problem.

Or display errors in a less modal way?

BTW. Dojo is adding client-side validation to some of it's form widgets, I'll have a look at that stuff soon, to see if it would be useful in CForms.

see: http://archive.dojotoolkit.org/nightly/tests/widget/ test_validate.html

So I think the current behaviour is fine :) But perhaps there are
other
use cases? What about a chain implementation? So a handler can
decide to
call the next handler or not?

Eeek! ;)
:) I guessed you love it!

You have a usecase for this ?
Nope, see my example from above. If we use one single handler for all
our prevalidation, we're fine.

Should an onSubmit Handler know if others exist ?
This is going to mean more api changes and more incompatibility
issues for people with custom widgets. :(

Convince me ;)
Sorry, no :)

He he he he ;)

And BTW. Can you think why onSubmit Handlers should no longer be
called before Ajax submits (the original question) ?
I have no idea - but I could imagine that the idea was to invoke the
handlers only if the form is really submitted and not for any form based
ajax requests. So I guess this is a bug then, but it's just a guess :)
I think this should be fixed if noone comes up with a good reason.

I think I may have been confused about how dojo.event.connect 'around' advice works. Now I think maybe they are being called during Ajax submits, sorry for the noise.

best regards

Jeremy