On 04.04.2008 11:33, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

With Mac OS X I also have no access to the source code of the JDK.

Which makes me wonder again how to do serious Java development with Mac OS X. I know a few of you guys are using Mac OS X. How do you do it?

Er... without any problem, and I nothing would make me swith back to Windoze :-)

Whenever I start this I get annoyed very fast. The missing Java sources are only the tip of the iceberg.

What missing Java sources? They are in /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/src.jar

Hmm, not for me. Directory exists, but no src.jar inside. So where to get it from?

Every tree representation in Eclipse just sucks.

What sucks? The missing vertical lines? It means a bit more indentation, but less visual clutter. And my Mighty Mouse's scroll ball does magic to navigate in all directions :-)

I have a Logitech MX Revolution, so sidewards scrolling isn't a problem. But try keyboard navigation. You are on the 100th child and hit left key. I now expect to jump to the parent and on the next hit on left to close the parent.

Keyboard navigation in Mac OS X is completely inconsistent, especially with Java programs.

Uh? What is "consistency" besides the usual cut/copy/paste?

What about Ctrl/Alt/Shift + Left/Right/Up/Down/Page Up/Page Down/Home/End? I use these key combinations very heavily in Windows - and try to use similar cominations in Mac OS X, but pretty much every program has its own combinations. Notebook keyboard with fn seems to complicate it even more. Especially annoying in Eclipse fn+Left (which should be Home) jumps to first position in file.

There seems to be no serious SVN command line client (or at least the CollabNet download page is just self-linking at the moment: http://downloads.open.collab.net/binaries.html).

Install macports and just run "sudo port install subversion"

Found http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Subversion-on-Mac-OS-X and from there http://www.codingmonkeys.de/mbo/. So at least one problem solved.

And so on ... Windows has also bunch of annoying issues but there is at least consistency and usually there is a solution for everything. Do you guys all switch to Linux when it comes to Java development? :)

Naaaah. I'm very happy with my Mac :-)

If I could just say the same ;)

Joerg