On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:24 AM, Reinhard Pötz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Cocoon 3.0 started by Reinhard looked promising to me but now I
>> realize that the main idea of its existence is to more or less
>> rewrite C2.2 and add some RESTful features.
>
> Yes, that's explained by the first paragraph of the Cocoon 3 website.
>
>> It's not my intention to criticize anyone but I really think it's not
>> enough to make others excited and willing to contribute. At least it
>> looks that way...
>
> You probably have missed it but with Simone we actually have one very
> active committer and I know that many other people are fond of the
> Cocoon 3 pipeline module.
> Currently the main problem is that most developers don't know that there
> is such a simple thing as the Cocoon 3 pipeline library. I've already
> started to provide documentation but haven't got very far yet. But be
> assured that it has a very high priority on my opensource todo list.
>
>> Has anyone here thoughts on this topic or it's only me who has a
>> problem?
>
> When I started Cocoon 3 my main goal was to solve two problems: 1)
> provide a plain and simple pipeline API that is easily usable from
> within any Java environment 2) make Cocoon a simple platform for RESTful
> services.
> This made *me* excited about it and solves *my* problems. I haven't done
> any market research about what would have excited others.
>
> Anyway, I don't think that it makes much sense to talk about what an
> anonymous mass of people might want. So Grzegorz and all others reading
> this, what would make *you* excited about Cocoon 3 so that *you* would
> be willing to contribute?

FWIW, we'll be taking a hard look at moving to Cocoon 3 vs. 2.2 as we
look at migrating off of 2.1.  Our main requirement really is for XML
and XSL pipelines and we don't use most of the existing Cocoon
infrastructure, the big thing currently lacking is 3 that we really
need is caching...

--
Peter Hunsberger