Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Reinhard Pötz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Peter Hunsberger wrote:
>> Could you elaborate on your caching requirements?
>>

> We run an Intranet web app, (not a web site) with very complex
> dynamically assembled screens. We have fairly long pipelines, with a
> lot of aggregated components.  There is almost always one component
> that cannot be cached at all (or makes little sense to cache) and the
> others have varying cache lifetimes.  So currently we need to be able
> to pull cached SAX streams from the nonchanging components and run the
> results through XSLT as per standard Cocoon aggregated validity type
> checking.
>
> Any next gen version of our app will likely attempt to move this to a
> more granular approach using AJAX on the front end so it should be
> possible to eliminate most of, if not all of, the requirement for
> aggregated SAX via XSLT. However, even then, for a large chunk of our
> data we don't know exactly what can be shared until we examine
> security policies that are determined dynamically  (eg, based on
> previous data requests) so we know we cannot move everything to http /
> web server type caching. Similarly, our cache invalidation policies
> are complex with hierarchies of dependencies so again you can't set
> simple http type cache expiiry policies, you've got to have something
> more like the current cocoon validity checking, where we can trigger a
> cascade of cache invalidation when some fundamental resource is
> updated.
>
> If that raises more questions than it answers I can attempt to elaborate...

IMO it would be best to discuss your needs based on what Cocoon 3
already offers (see org.apache.cocoon.pipeline.CachingPipeline) and what
exactly you are missing. And additionally (or alternatively if you
prefer) you could also provide us with a concrete example. I think that
would make many things much clearer.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]