Hi Robby,
I perfectly agree with you!!! even if I'm conservative I recently
started having the feeling of a subset of functional APIs that really
simplify the objects creation/setup. Pipeline for example, even if has
a very simple and intuitive APIs, sometimes are subject to users
misinterpretation, with the new builder users are forced to follow the
right workflow.

Yet another good example of functional Java is LamdaJ
(http://code.google.com/p/lambdaj/) that looks very similar to your
stuff; that should put an emphasis on java users need of functional
APIs.

Back to Cocoon: unfortunately I don't know C2.X, since I began
directly with C3... but I agree with Jos, you can safely choose for C3
:P

Thanks for the feedback and have a nice day!
Simo

http://www.99soft.org/