Am 02.08.2011 10:16, schrieb Francesco Chicchiriccò:
On 01/08/2011 21:06, Simone Tripodi wrote:
Hi all guys!!!
My question is instead: is there any advantage we can get by targeting
Cocoon to Java6? Is there any specific Java6 APIs we need to improve
the existing codebase?
If yes, please can you describe?

Hi Simone,
some of my favorite Java 6 features that Cocoon codebase could profit from:

* Collections Framework Enhancements and ServiceLoader [1]: Cocoon source code makes large use of collections, thus usage of these features can improve quality and performance

* Internationalization Enhancements [2]: especially now that we should start working on the new i18n transformer [3]

* JMX [4] and Management [5] enhancements: will we ever put this great Cocoon 3 stuff in production?

Last but not least, Cocoon 3 depends on many other frameworks and libraries that will eventually require Java 6 (and 7, soon) capabilities.

Regards.

That's a good list and some fine reasons to switch to Java 6.

Actually my approach would be to ask if there's any downside to upgrading.
All I could think of is that someone might be bound to Java 5 (upgrade policies, special JVM implementations, platform limitations),
which I find highly unlikely (20 months is plenty of time to migrate).

So I'm definitely for upgrading!

[1] http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/lang/enhancements.html#6 [2] http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/intl/enhancements.html
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COCOON3-64
[4] http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/jmx/enhancements.html [5] http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/management/enhancements.html