Hi all guys!!!
I agree with Nathaniel, I had terrible pains with method-not-found
exception with Google Doclava simply by targeting to java1.5 but using
1.6 :P
Anyway, the animal-sniffer[1] maven plugin helps a lot on keeping code
safely 1.5 compatible - Google team used it a lot while developing
Google Guice

Anyway, I'm +0 for the upgrade and explain my personal motivations
following the list provided by Francesco - and please remember I'm
more familiar with core&optional APIs ;)

* Collections Framework Enhancements

+0: We are strongly relying on LinkedList, HashMap and LinkedHashMap
implementations; is there any impl in Java6 that could help on
improving the pipeline APIs?

* and ServiceLoader

+0: there's nothing that commons-discovery[2] cannot do compared to
Java built-in ServiceLoader; OTOH, discovery supports more features

* Internationalization Enhancements: especially now that we should
start working on the new i18n transformer [3]

+1

* JMX [4] and Management enhancements: will we ever put this great
Cocoon 3 stuff in production?

+1

Last but not least, Cocoon 3 depends on many other frameworks and
libraries that will eventually require Java 6 (and 7, soon)
capabilities.

+0: If those dependencies name start with 'S' and terminate with
'pringframework', I would personally love to see them replaced, but
that's just *my* POV :P ;)

Have a nice day, all the best!!!
Simo

[1] http://mojo.codehaus.org/animal-sniffer-maven-plugin/