Gents,
if you take a look at [1], you will realize that we have a quite long path to reach a decent quality level of Cocoon 3's source code.

At the moment, the most "bad" violations are related to a couple of rules that couldn't apply to Cocoon 3, for different reasons:

1. Using member variables in servlets [2] - Cocoon 3 uses the ServletService framework, so servlet's lifecycle is not managed in the usual way, by a Servlet container

2. Direct allocation of a specific implementation of xml interfaces [3]: NekoHtml does not provide a SAXParserFactory, only provides direct instantiation

My proposal would be to open a issue to INFRA in order to ask for disabling these two rules: do you see any problem, with this?

For my personal experience about Findbugs, PMD and Checkstyle, it is rather impossible to satisfy all the rules (thus bringing the number of violations to zero); however, I personally think that reducing the huge amount that we have at the moment would dramatically improve Cocoon 3's source code quality.

Cheers.

[1] https://analysis.apache.org/drilldown/violations/org.apache.cocoon.root:cocoon-root [2] https://analysis.apache.org/rules/show/findbugs:MTIA_SUSPECT_SERVLET_INSTANCE_FIELD?layout=false [3] https://analysis.apache.org/rules/show/findbugs:XFB_XML_FACTORY_BYPASS?layout=false

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Apache Cocoon Committer and PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~ilgrosso/