On 2011-08-17, sebb wrote:

> On 17 August 2011 03:42, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
>> On 2011-08-15, sebb wrote:

>>> For input, there might be a use case for leaving the stream open, in
>>> case some kind of recovery is possible.

>>> It would be useful to have a way of determining the input file pointer
>>> at the point of failure.

>> stream.getBytesRead() or are you thinking about anything else?

> That would be fine.

I'm not sure whether we need to do anything for that.  The streams
already count the bytes and you can access it when an exception occurs.
We might want to revisit the exception messages whether they can include
some sort of byte count.

For "normal users" of compress I don't expect that information to be too
useful, though.  Most users won't be familiar with the details of the
format.  It may be useful for us during debugging or when bugs get
reported.

Stefan