On Tue, May 28, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Emmanuel Bourg <ebo...@apache.org> wrote:

> Le 28/05/2013 19:50, Phil Steitz a écrit :
>
> > Looks complicated and painful.  I would rather put energy into
> > getting dbcp 2.0 out the door and aim for the following:
> >
> > DBCP 1.3.x JDK 1.4-1.5
> > DBCP 1.4.x JDK 1.6
> > DBCP 2.x    JDK 1.7
>
> Unfortunately that doesn't solve the issue for the Linux distros
> compiling everything from the source. They have to support softwares
> depending on DBCP 1.x, and as they move to Java 7 they will have to
> support DBCP 1.x with Java 7+ for some time.

Something seems out of bounds here. Strictly speaking I know we deliver
sources and we provide a jar as a convenience.

The source we deliver comes with a clear definition through the POM on how
to build it. We say, the source is Java version X and the target Java
version Y, where usually X=Y.

The safe thing to do as a builder is to build with a Java version that
matches the source version set in the POM.

The result of using a new Java version than that is undefined because who
knows what future JDKs will require.

I do not see a nice and clean solution aside from the one suggested by Phil.

Gary

--
E-Mail: garydgreg...@gmail.com | ggreg...@apache.org
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com