On 10/9/13 12:17 PM, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think Phil came up with the idea to try to focus on the components that
> we are able to maintain and put all other stuff to dormant. Here is the
> list of components that I think really are proper:
>
> - CLI
> - Codec
> - Collections
> - Compress
> - Configuration
> - CSV
> - Daemon
> - DBCP (?)
> - Email
> - Functor
> - Imaging (?)
> - IO
> - JCI
> - Lang
> - Logging
> - Math
> - Net
> - Pool (?)
> - Proxy
> - SCXML (after recent interest)
> - VFS
> - Weaver
>
> All other stuff can go dormant because there is currently nobody who
> maintains it. Still a pretty long list. Thoughts? Anything missing?
>
> Benedikt

Thanks, Benedikt!  Beat me to it :)

That is a decent set to start with, which should be pared down,
IMO.  One thing we have done in the past is to poll committers about
intention to work on stuff.  I think [1] was originally created as
part of one attempt at this.  I think intention among volunteers to
actually do work is more important than other signs of "activity" so
I suggest we either revive that page or just have people respond to
this thread indicating which components they intend to work on over
the next few months.  Things with one vote are questionable, 2 or
more, "alive," others "dormant."  I would say anyone can vote
(Commons committer or not), but voting should mean willingness to
put material effort into the thing.

I just updated [1] for me.  The things I will be active on in the
near term (though at my normal snail's pace) are [math], [pool],
[dbcp].

Phil

[1] https://wiki.apache.org/commons/CommonsPeople