On 10/14/13 2:04 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> Wearing my old Attic fart hat - something is dead when there is no one left
> to turn the light out. Something is inactive when it couldn't pass a vote
> to keep the project alive (ie: 3 +1s).
>
> So that's one way to do this. Make a file in SVN. Put each component in it
> (include the sandbox perhaps). Ask everyone to vote by putting their name
> next to a component.
>
> Any component failing to get 3 names is a goner [aka up for debate, but the
> point of the debate is to convince others to add their name to the
> component]. Any component with zero names is a goner, kaput, deceased.

Sounds good to me, with some slight changes. I think non-committers
- especially ASF committers who are not commons committers - should
be able to vote (with meaning as described below).  I was about to
propose something similar to get the initial pruning done, and then
an ongoing process like:

 0) Anyone can present a "dormancy challenge" at any time for a
component that they think might be dormant.   Just start a thread
with subject [DORMANT][FOO] (content optional).
 1) We allow a nice long time for people to chime in - say two
weeks. If an ASF committer volunteers to RM a (future) release, or
if at least 2 people signal intent to do material work on [FOO], the
challenge fails and [FOO] remains active; otherwise it is lazily
deemed dormant.
 2) Reviving a dormant component requires nothing more than the
action awaited in 1). Dormant components stay put in svn, but their
websites and the main commons site designate them as dormant.

So basically, you are presenting a challenge for "all" components to
start.  I am +1 for that.  The key question is what exactly does it
mean to vote +1 for a component.  It can't mean "we should keep it
alive."  To be meaningful, it has to mean "I am going to work on
it."  I would rather be more hard core on what +1 means and tolerant
of only 2 +1s, especially if one of them is stepping up to RM.

Phil

Hen On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Benedikt Ritter