On Tuesday, October 8, 2013, Benedikt Ritter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> one of the points that seem to always come up once in a while is the
> process of releasing components. I've never done it myself so I'm asking
> people who have done it:

I find myself wondering why a release vote is anything more than:

  "I propose that r6525 of <dir> be tagged as 3.2. What say ye all?"

That might focus us on the #1 step of whether the API and code is good and
relegate all the artifact juggling to a post release step. The tag (or src
tarball of the scm dir) is the important thing - the rest is artifact
pain/noise and could be handled by different people.

As it is we have a long laundry list of steps to master and get by the 3 or
4 RC fails before a release is done. And the list is always changing. Too
much expertise is needed. It also makes us Maven specific, which may limit
us if we think broader in the future. We' turn down a JavaScript component
because I doesn't fit in with out release process.

I propose release votes be simple revision based requests and involve no
artifact churn :)

Hen