On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 07:15:20 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 1/25/16 7:01 AM, Gilles wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 06:47:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
On 1/25/16 12:40 AM, Ole Ersoy wrote:
Umbrella-ish is good.  Linear algebra, genetic algorithms, neural
networks, clustering, monte carlo, simplex...These need an
umbrella.  Some of the other Apache projects that do math may be
interested in moving that piece under the Apache Math umbrella.

The ASF does not look favorably on "umbrella" projects.  This is
because in these projects, the individual volunteers making up the
PMC inevitably lose sight of the full project. The governance model
that we have at Apache has no layers in it beneath the PMC.  That
means PMCs need to be focused. "All things X" PMCs don't work. The
canonical example of that was Jakarta, which started as "all things
Java" and was eventually split up.  We should definitely not try to
be "all things math" at the ASF. A better focus would be a nice set
math components in Java that other math-related projects inside and
outside the ASF can use.  Kind of like, um, Commons Math as its own
TLP :)

The problem is that Commons Math is "all things math-related that the
PMC agreed to put in".  It is an umbrella in the sense you
describe here
(even if obviously cannot preclude other project to implement math
routines).

We have seen that a CM-like project has advantages and drawbacks, for
developers and users.

It makes sense to dig further into Ole's proposal towards
modularization
because, if it is as you say above, then different modules may
have to
become different projects!

If they don't have to, then I don't understand your argument.

Or it is a fight on the use of the word "umbrella"?

The ASF principle is simple:  the PMC has to provide active
oversight of the project.  That means that you can't have a single
project effectively split into several smaller ones with individual
PMC members providing oversight to parts, but not the whole.  When
that starts to happen, you need to break the project apart.  Just
distributing separate jars does not force that to happen.

It is a sound principle.
But is it always applicable in practice?

I mean, for CM precisely, it is not true that everyone oversees
to whole code base.  The following situations happened:
* single individuals coded (or refactored) almost everything in a
  package and nobody else participated in the design, or reviewed
  the resulting code
* some packages are too venerable to be touched by newbies
* code contained crippling bugs, that have gone unnoticed for a long
  time
* some people want to refactor part or the whole of a package but
  others block it on non-technical ground

Hence, without bypassing the good principle, it could be made clear
that some people are more interested or knowledgeable in some area
of the library, and thus the primary (informal) responsible for its
design, not precluding the binding advice of other PMC members.
There should be consensus... (?) on the principle of how to adapt the
principle to reality.

Then modules with better defined scopes could be developed according
to possibly different policies (see "PMC volunteering" thread).

Gilles

Phil

Gilles

Phil

Personally I like to see each in a separate repository dedicated
to the subject, along with the corresponding documentation, etc
So:
apache-math (Central repository describing the project as a whole
with the documentation that cuts across modules)
apache-math-linear-real
apache-math-linear-field
apache-math-optimization-genetic
apache-math-optimization-simplex