The general pattern that I'm seeing within the NodeJS community is that big
projects are being broken up into smaller projects and those smaller projects
are being broken up yet again, etc.  What I find refreshing about that is that
it's pretty simple to find a component / module that I need for which I can
read the example and get up to speed in 5 minutes and if needed read the source
code in less than an hour.

In contrast I'm spending a fairly significant amount of time attempting to
break up CM into smaller, simpler, more easily digestible pieces.  Once
something becomes a big library it's very hard to manage it elegantly. Small
projects are easy to manage.  For example I'm combining Twitter Bootstrap and
SUIT-CSS into a framework called superfly-css.  If you search for it on npmjs
all the modules pop up (A combination of tools and css components):

https://www.npmjs.com/search?q=superfly-css

Each module links back to the parent module for usage documentation, install,
design guidelines, etc.  The superfly-css organization landing page is going to
outline all the tool and component modules.  Each module can have a gh-pages
branch containing the site for the module if necessary.

I have a very easy time managing this and anyone who uses it gets precisely
what they need.  It's like ordering Sushi :) and the process for using the
modules is almost that simple.

This is the best argument I have seen for taking a modular approach:
https://github.com/substack/browserify-handbook#module-philosophy

As an example directly related to CM have a look at the now fairly complete
firefly-math-exceptions module:
https://github.com/firefly-math/firefly-math-exceptions

Anyone on this list can probably read the source in about 10 minutes.  It's
very easy to integrate / extend this into any (CM or non CM) math project.  So
if we create an organization structure targeting small simple modules I think
we will have a lot more fun with this.

Cheers,
Ole