On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:17:43 -0800, Gary Gregory wrote:
Note that we can change the name Apache Commons Math to Apache Commons Cutesy name as well as turn it into a multi-module project. You do not need
a TLP to do that.

AFAICT, the real issue is one of policy: Commons is supposed to be stable,
stable, stable and stable (IIUC).

And CM is far from being mature as a programming project, when considering design and scope, and not only the quality of its results and performance
(which are both good in many cases).
So stability (as in using JDK 5 only) is not a good perspective (surely not
developers and probably not for users either IMO).

If this does not change, what's the point indeed?

I see lots of email about name change but not many about why this component would better serve its community under a TLP and/or different PMC and/or
policies.

My take on that has been shared on several occasions.

You are right quite right that the people who previously opposed the
creation of a different TLP did not say much, if anything, about what
has changed since then.
And, more importantly, what will change, as you point out here and as
I did in the other thread ("Volunteer for the new TLP PMC").

Gilles

Where's the beef?! ;-)

Gary