I would highly recommend shading this library when it is used in
Hadoop and/or Spark, to prevent version skew problems between Hadoop
and Spark like we have had in the past.

What is the strategy for handling JNI components?  I think at a
minimum, we should include the version number in the native library
name to avoid problems when deploying multiple versions of Chimera.
This is something that has been problematic in Hadoop with
libhadoop.so.

Is this library going to have Scala interfaces as well as Java ones,
or just Java?

cheers,
Colin