On Wed, 21 Sep 2016 15:04:12 +0000, Benedikt Ritter wrote:
Hi,

Jörg Schaible <joerg.schai...@bpm-inspire.com> schrieb am Mi., 21. Sep.
2016 um 16:55 Uhr:

Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

>> We could also have Lamda utility classes in [lang], the classes would >> target Java 8 while the other classes would remain at the Java 6 level >> (this implies compiling the classes separately and recombining them in
>> the final jar).
>
> From a users point of view I would search in commons-lang for language
> "extensions". But this kind of building would be ... complex.

No, it's a quite simple configuration with Maven. However, you have to be prepared for users running into problems using the resulting jar file:

1/ in Android, because the Dalvik compiler is not able to convert the
classes targeting Java 8

2/ in Web/App Servers running with Java 7 or below that scan the libraries
in the classpath for annotations

I still think we should use Commons Functor for this kind of functionality. Commons Lang originally only hosted extensions to the java.lang package. Over time more and more stuff creeped in (reflect, concurrent, text). We responded to that by creating Commons Text and Commons Functor. I think
small focused components are the right direction

Yes!

instead of putting even
more stuff into Commons Lang. I hope to have some time to work on Text and
Functor after I'm done with the Commons Lang 3.5 release... :)

Don't you want to deprecate a few things, that came from extending
"java.util" (just as an example)?  ;-)

Benedikt

Cheers,
Jörg