Hi both,

great to get such a positive response.

On 22/10/16 15:59, Gilles wrote:
> Hello.
>
> On Sat, 22 Oct 2016 12:51:03 +0200, Eric Barnhill wrote:
>> Dear Bernd,
>>
>> Thank you for this interesting contribution. I use these sorts of
>> filters
>> frequently so I will be interested to give it a look. I just build my
>> Butterworths in k space so I will be interested to see how yours work
>> differently.
Sorry I meant I used the laguerre solver for Bessel. I'm sure we both
did a similar approach for Butterworth.
Either way the library is written in a way that it's very modular and
you can do it the traditional way by providing analogue lowpass
poles/zeroe and then the library does the rest for you or you can
directly put complex conjugate pairs into a biquad cascade. Hoping that
people also come up with other filter patches such as Linkwitz, for example.

>> The math package is in flux as others can tell you,
>
> This is a mild description... ;-)
>
> To better appreciate the situation, I suggest to browse through the
> "dev" ML archive (starting around last May).
OK. I'll have a read!

> The bottom line is that we critically need contributors to help
> maintain, and continue developing, selected packages from the
> Commons Math codebase.
I'd be up for it (obviously with reason). I've been teaching DSP for
many years and now developing a couple of Android apps for which I need
filters so that will be ongoing and happy to maintain packages and add
new ones.

>> however I think such
>> functionality fits the commons mission quite well and I am certainly
>> happy
>> to help support the code to give it a home here some how.
>
> It will be a good fit if the code comes with developer(s) willing
> to provide support too.
Yes of course I would provide support and of course see it through to
the release. That comes without saying.

>> Best,
>> Eric
>> On 22 Oct 2016 01:35, "Bernd Porr" <m...@berndporr.me.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I've created an IIR filter library:
>>> https://github.com/berndporr/iirj
>>>
>>> It's a re-coded version of my / Vinnie's DSP library originally written
>>> in C++. I've spent quite some time to make it work with the apache
>>> Complex type and I've also used the polynomial solver for the
>>> Butterworth filters.
>>>
>>> It implements Butterworth, Elliptic, Bessel and Chebyshev Type I. The
>>> library is very modular and adding new filter types is easy as adding
>>> different filter topologies.
>>>
>>> Is there interest in fully integrating this into math commons?
>
> In "Commons Math" per se, no (cf. above) but as its own component,
> yes.
>
>>> I'm aware that I don't have any maven script just now and the
>>> documentation is probably not complete for apache but before I
>>> embark on
>>> it I'd rather ask if there is interest.
>
> If Eric is willing to help you, it's a good start; but you
> should also be willing to stay around here long enough to
> work with us towards an official release of that code.
> And if, in addition, you can offer advice, and help with
> other tasks, that will be really great.
Sure. Def happy to stay on till the release and the ongoing maintenance.
That's what I had in mind anyway. It's rather that I need you especially
in terms of the build scripts which I have been avoiding for too long
and need to catch up with them.

> Welcome and best regards,
> Gilles
Thanks!