On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 4:13 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6 March 2018 at 21:38, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi All:
> >
> > Any objection to adding:
> >
> > /**
> >  * Reads n lines from this reader.
> >  */
> > List<String>
> > org.apache.commons.io.input.ReversedLinesFileReader.readLine(long
> lineCount)
> >
> > ?
>
> Yes.
>
> The name makes it sound like it is reading a single line, yet the
> output is a list of lines.

Cut and paste error, obviously, the method should be called "readLines(long
lineCount)"

> Also, this seems like the sort of function that could be dealt with
> via a more general approach which would work with any method.
> AFAICT there would be no gain in embedding the looping code in IO
> rather than having it somewhere else.

The gain is that your questions below would be defined by the new method.

> What happens if there aren't enough lines in the file?

If you ask for 30 lines, and there are only 10 lines, you get 10 lines. I'm
not sure what else could happen, you can't invent data that does not exist.

What happens if there is an IO error reading one of the lines?

Then the method throws an exception, just like readLine() does. Would you
ask this question of readLine(): What happens if reading a single character
or a buffer of character causes an IO error?

Gary