On 7 March 2018 at 04:24, Gary Gregory <garydgreg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 6, 2018 at 4:32 PM, sebb <seb...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > Cut and paste error, obviously, the method should be called
>> "readLines(long
>> > lineCount)"

>> > The gain is that your questions below would be defined by the new method.
>>
>> As they would by an independent method.

>> > If you ask for 30 lines, and there are only 10 lines, you get 10 lines.
>> I'm
>> > not sure what else could happen, you can't invent data that does not
>> exist.
>> >
>> > What happens if there is an IO error reading one of the lines?
>> >>

>> > Then the method throws an exception, just like readLine() does.
>>
>> So all the lines that have already been read are lost?
>>

> Yes, just like all of the characters are lost when an exception is thrown
> when you call readLine() today. Nothing shocking there IMO.

So basically it is a simple loop around readLine(). Or is there some
reason why it has to be part of IO?

The method increases the cost of maintenance and the code size for
something that is easy to code externally.

Also, I'm not sure that the potential number of use cases warrants
creating the code.