On 2019-01-25, Gilles Sadowski wrote:

> By chance, I opened and read an automated mail from "GitBox" whose
> subject line did not contain anything that would usually prompt a
> reaction from me.[1]

[Sidenote: I also find it annoying that the messages no longer contain
the name of the repository since we've switched to gitbox]

> Could someone with a GitHub account please engage with the "unknown"
> people and let them know how to contribute ("dev" ML subscription,
> JIRA reports, etc.)?

There is a CONTRIBUTING.md file in your repository that explicitly tells
people to prefer JIRA but also explicitly talks about github pull
requests. This is the boilerplate file created from the commons parent
build but you can certainly change it to fit MATH's prefered way of
operating.

That being said, nobody is going to guarantee people will bother reading
the document. Also some contributors simply prefer using the github
interface and will rather not provide a patch at all than using diff and
JIRA.

You (as in "the MATH community") need to decide whether you'd like to
forgo such contributions. It may very well be there are people who like
to use the github UI (Gary seems to be one of them :-)

> How can we make more prominent that GitHub is not our primary way to
> interact about Apache projects.  Or is it?  Did I miss a change of
> policy?

It has been added as an option but each community is certainly free to
use or do without that option.

Stefan